Neuro-Ophthalmologist Visit

So my eye wigged out on August 23rd. The bottom half of my vision in my left eye was basically a grey, blurry screen for several days. After taking a steroid for a little while, it improved to where it has been for the past month and a half. I have sort of this light somewhat transparent line just below the midline of my left eye. I can basically see normally, but occasionally I get some light flare going on from the line. It gets worse when I look at screens like my phone or computer, but it's not terrible. Fortunately, it hasn't impacted my life for the most part. Anyway, my oncologist wanted it checked out and the ophthalmologist, who couldn't figure out what was wrong, wanted me to see a neuro-ophthalmologist.

My appointment with the neuro was on October 23rd. I guess a neuro-ophthalmologist focuses more on how the brain interacts with the eye and they were hopeful an answer could be procured by seeing one. So there were a few tests done that day. They did a field of vision test, which was explained to me like it was a video game. Basically you close one eye and try to push a button any time you see a light pop up on the white bowl. It's a highly anxiety inducing activity haha When I went a little while without seeing a light, I started to panic! The worst part was that I was pretty sure a noise happened every time a light was produced, but sometimes the noise would go off and I didn't see a light. You sort of start freaking out inside worrying if your vision sucks haha Anyway! The test results came back normal, thank heavens! I also did this test with a blinking red light and telling them when it went solid. I guess there was as slight issue detected in my left eye, but nothing of significance.

They also had me do the traditional reading letters on the wall and whatnot. I still have 20/15 vision in both eyes and there was nothing perceptible to indicate what the issue is. The doctor believes that there was likely some inflammation from the immunotherapy treatments that caused it, but she doesn't really know. If I didn't tell her something was wrong, she'd never know it. When asked if I should restart immunotherapy, she said it's a risk vs reward type of a situation. There is a chance something more "destructive" could happen to my vision moving forward and I have to decide if it's worth it to me to engage in the immunotherapy treatments.

I guess we have some pondering to do...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lifechanging news...

My Back and the new Chinese Medicine Doctor

Second Brain Surgery