Medical Alert System and Limitations

After my seizure episode, Kim approached me about something that I never thought I'd have to deal with. At least, not as a 33 year old. She approached me about getting a medical alert necklace so I could alert 911 if something happened to me while I was home alone. This may seem weird, but that was a challenging thought for me to wrap my brain around. It probably seems really weird considering I'd wrapped my brain around the fact that I was 31 years old when I was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer, had emergency brain surgery, emergency spinal surgery, arm surgery, several ER visits, multiple ambulance rides up north... You'd think by now, a medical alert system would seem natural. While it logically made sense to me, it has been emotionally challenging for me to grapple with. And that all came to a head yesterday...

Kim, who never ceases to amaze me, spent a lot of time researching medical alert companies and she spent a lot of time on the phone trying to find the best option for me and our situation. I can't tell you how grateful I am for her and the continual love she shows me. Kim and I ultimately settled on a company that we felt good about and placed the order. We signed up for a 6 month deal to see what we think of it and to see how things go during that time.

The system that we got arrived just yesterday and we were able to get it set up. It has a main base that sits in our kitchen. I can talk to the emergency response team with the company through that base. We've tested it twice (once on purpose and once on accident when Kim didn't realize that the "Emergency" button was an actual button haha) and the people on the other end have been very cordial and professional. We also got a fall detection necklace. I wear it and it will detect most falls. So, if I have a seizure and fall, but can't call anyone, the system should detect the fall, call the company, who will then call 911 for me. We also got a mobile system. It stays charged for 30 hours and operates off of GPS. I can carry that with me wherever we go and use it to get in contact with the company. The GPS would allow the company to locate me and direct 911 to me. The neat thing, too, is that the fall detection necklace will work if it is paired with the mobile system. So if I am on a walk and fall, the fall should notify the company. We tested the mobile system while running errands yesterday and, again, it worked great.




Going through the process of setting this up had provided both Kim and me with an increased peace of mind. It's comforting to know that I am more protected now, especially when on my own, than I was before.

That being said, setting this up brought out some difficult moments for me. There was sort of that moment of realization that I'm not as independent as I'd like to be. That my body is going through a battle that requires me to wear necklaces and wristbands to alert others if/when something goes wrong. And I'm 33 years old... It's challenging to accept limitations. I've understood that life is different with cancer, but for some reason, unwrapping all of this hardware just seemed too surreal for me. And it took me a minute to work through those emotions.

It's been a full day now since we got this all set up, and I'm more okay with it now than I was in the beginning. This journey has had a lot of challenges, but they've each taught me something unique and valuable. I am limited. I always have been. There's nothing wrong with that. I accepted, in particular, my spiritual limitations a while ago. I'm still working on accepting my physical limitations. I still struggle with not being able to help in the yard or around the house like I used to. I struggle to know that, physically, I'm fragile enough to merit the need for a medical alert system. But I know those limitations are okay and they are all a part of this process called life. I'll get there. I have learned and know that as I turn to my Savior, I can be strengthened sufficiently to endure the trials this life offers. I'll get there. And so can you. No matter what you face, you can get through it. God will help you. Your Savior knows your pains and anguish. He knows how to succor you.

#FaithOverFear

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Back and the new Chinese Medicine Doctor

Lifechanging news...

1/23 Infusion and Visit