Thanksgiving 2019

Thanksgiving for our family is a little different than most. When the kids are with us for Thanksgiving, we have pizza subs for dinner and root beer floats for dessert (Well, I refrain from the root beer float...). No turkey. No traditional sides. No pie. The reason for this? Four years ago, Kim's dad, Dave, unexpectedly passed away the day before Thanksgiving. The next day, no one felt like celebrating Thanksgiving, to say the least. I suggested we make pizza subs since that was one of Dave's favorite things to make. In fact, he'd wanted to open up a shop to sell them. Since then, that's become a regular tradition on Thanksgiving. Not only does it provide us with an opportunity to remember Dave and celebrate his life, but it's far easier to make and clean up than a regular Thanksgiving dinner! lol

Anyway, this year was no different. We all enjoyed pizza subs for dinner and they were sure good! We also started the morning off with family scripture study and a really good breakfast casserole. We then got all bundled up and went up the canyon to get some wood for some ornaments we plan on making and selling as a family. It was quite white and snowy, but we all had a good time. The kids got to sled down the canyon behind the Escalade. It was rather entertaining watching them go down! When we got home, we made dinner and then headed off to Walmart for Black "Friday". The kids had seen some ads and wanted to try and get what they had their eyes on. Macie missed out on her phone at the store, but we were able to order it online for her when we got home. Jesse got a video game, Xbox controller, and a movie. It's always entertaining to see the hoards of people there for the deals. Then we relaxed when we got home. Overall, it was a great day.

I'm always grateful for this time of year and the way it causes people to pause and reflect. Ideally, we'd act that way year round, but unfortunately it oftentimes doesn't happen. This past year has really helped to put things into perspective for me. It's helped me understand what I'm truly grateful for.

First and foremost, I'm grateful for the gospel of Jesus Christ. It provides me with so much comfort, hope, and reassurance. It also provides me with the eternal perspective I've needed to endure this trial. I'm grateful to know that I have a loving Heavenly Father who is intimately aware of all that I am going through and all that I stand in need of. I'm grateful for my Savior, Jesus Christ, and all that He has done and continues to do for me. I'm grateful to know that He perfectly understands my suffering and struggles and knows how to perfectly succor me. I'm grateful for the Holy Ghost and His companionship. I'm grateful that He can provide me with comfort in times of need. I'm grateful for the restoration of the priesthood in these last days. I'm grateful that I can receive priesthood blessings to provide guidance, counsel, and comfort. I'm beyond grateful for this gospel. It's the best thing to ever happen to me.

I'm grateful for my wife. She's been my rock ever since I met her, but especially over the last year. Her love and her willingness to sacrifice has been on full display for me as I've worked through this battle with cancer. There's no one I'm more grateful for than her. She has helped me to change in so many ways and has always been loving and supportive of me. I have loved watching her grow with me over the past year. It's been a wonderful journey and I wouldn't have wanted anyone else beside me.

I'm grateful for family and friends that have been supportive throughout this journey. The other day I went back through a lot of our posts and reread all of the comments. It was a wonderful reminder of all the love and support shown us. Thank you to all of you who have prayed, fasted, donated, and shown love for us over the past year.

I'm grateful for this cancer. Yes, you read that right. When I look back on this journey, I can see how this trial has helped me to grow and change. It's helped me to grow closer to my Father in Heaven and my Savior, Jesus Christ. My testimony has grown in so many ways. My relationship with my wife has been strengthened as we've struggled and thrived together. My relationship with myself has improved. I know who I am and what I'm capable of when I rely upon the Lord. If I were ungrateful for this cancer, I'd be ungrateful for all that it has given me. Even if this cancer takes my life, which I firmly believe it won't, my gratitude for it would never change.

I'm grateful for all that I've been blessed with. Everywhere that I turn I see things that God has blessed me with. I know there are many individuals and families around the world that are less fortunate than I am. I am grateful to have been blessed to grow up and live in Utah under the circumstances that I've always had.

My hope is that when this cancer is gone I remain grateful for all that I have. The Book of Mormon is a wonderful example of how easy it is to be humble and grateful during times of need, but prideful when things are going well. I hope that I can be the kind of man that is continually grateful and always understands his reliance upon the Lord. I've truly come to know that I am nothing without God. I need Him in every aspect of my life.

My invitation to all of you is to take a moment to reflect upon all that you have been blessed with. I'd like to challenge you to find the good even in situations that may seem bad. If we really take a moment to reflect, we can always see God's hand in our lives, even during the storms.

If you're unfamiliar with the Book of Mormon, haven't read it for a while, or have flat out rejected it, I invite you to give it a chance. It is the word of God and you will truly come to know Him and His gospel better as you study it. I've seen it change me and many other people for the better. Give it a try. You won't regret it.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Back and the new Chinese Medicine Doctor

Lifechanging news...

Second Brain Surgery