1/23 Infusion and Visit

Yesterday (Which was Thursday, January 23rd), I had an appointment with the MA I see on a regular basis and an infusion. Prior to every infusion and visit, I have labs done. The past few times I've gone to the lab for my blood work they've struggled to get IV's in me. The hospital has been a little cooler lately and my veins tend to get difficult when my body is cold. In December, I had to have a PET scan done. I had the IV done without an issue. However, when I went to get blood drawn from the IV, they couldn't draw blood out of it. That meant a new IV was needed. I ended up getting stabbed three more times before they could get it to work! Four total IVs in one day! It gets a little long sometimes haha THIS time, however, one shot and done! That's how I like it! It was even better because I told the lady giving me the IV that taking off the tape at the end of the day was the worst and I need to shave my arms before I come up. She pulled out another piece of tape, slapped it on my unused right arm, and made sure it REALLY stuck. I thought to myself "What kind of a demon woman are you?!" After finishing up the IV, she went back to it and showed me the magic trick to pull it off without feeling a thing! After my infusion, I showed the nurse how it was done and it was fantastic! No demon at all...just some angel that God sent down to alleviate my pain! haha

Anyway, enough about being stabbed... I found out the results of my blood tests when I met with the MA and guess what... Not a single item tested was out of range! Not one! That is the first time since I started this process just over a year ago that has happened! I must be doing something right haha It was great news. One of the markers measures inflammation in the body and can be used to help us understand if anything is going on with the cancer. The first time it was tested was just after my brain surgery and it was 2,976. "What's normal range?", you might ask. Well, it's only 100-253! It's not like I was THAT far out of range...haha Anyway, after getting on my BRAF medication, it dropped significantly. However, the last three blood tests have been 195, 213, and 199 (in order). That's the lowest they have been and the first two times they have dropped below 200. Sure is a good feeling!

While meeting with Carolyn, the MA, we asked about a new lump I discovered just under the skin on my left pectoral muscle. I hadn't noticed it before and we wanted to find out if it had shown up on the last PET scan. If it hadn't, we were concerned this was a new tumor growth. Fortunately, it not only showed up on the PET scan, but it showed up with no metabolic activity. That basically means the tumor is essentially dead, which is, of course, great news. She said that you can feel "new" tumors if you begin slimming down. My last weight measurement at home was 148.8, which is the lowest I've been in a long time. I'm very happy that my exercising and healthier dieting are resulting in improvements with my body. I also used to have a relatively large tumor just under my right armpit. It has since shrunk in size, but hasn't gone away for quite some time. I had felt this tumor was dead for a long time and, fortunately, the PET scan showed that this one, also, did not have any metabolic activity. In fact, Carolyn said that overall, my tumors have demonstrated decreased metabolic activity, which is a trend in the right direction. Definitely wonderful news!

We then went to the infusion center for an infusion. There were no issues with the infusion at all. We got the drugs back after just half an hour there (which I believe is record time) and then the actual infusion and flush took just 37 minutes. Appointment was at 1:20 and we were out at 2:30. Definitely the fastest time, which was great!

Two additional notes regarding my health that are unrelated to this visit:

1. As I've worked out and paid attention to my body over the past while, I've noticed a weird depression in my left arm around the surgical site. I brought this up with my chiropractor (who just happens to be the best in the world...) a few weeks ago and, after analyzing the pictures from my arm surgery, he determined that one of my muscles was detached from my bone and is the reason for the depression. It wasn't anything I did to cause the detachment, but the chiro said he believes this muscle was attached to my bone right where the hole was cut to dig out the tumor. As a result, the muscle had to go! It is also the reason why the muscles in my left arm are responding differently than the muscles in my right arm. Several muscles in my left arm need to compensate for the missing muscle. This was news to me, but, fortunately it was a smaller muscle and I won't be greatly hindered due to it's loss.

2. I mentioned a while ago that, following an infusion, the vision in my left eye went wacko. Since that time and it's overall resolution, there remained a faint, transparent line just below midline that would cause some blurriness, especially when just using that eye and trying to read. You will be pleased to find out that the blurriness in my left eye has greatly improved and I can read with just that eye without any problems now. I was wondering if it would ever completely resolve itself and it appears it is on its way! Wonderful news! I'm grateful for the daily use of two of the greatest anti-oxidants and anti-inflammatories the world has to offer!

Thanks everyone for your continued support and prayers!

Below is a picture from the infusion center:


Comments

  1. Love your attitude and patience! Keep smiling and plowing through this!! Great example!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My Back and the new Chinese Medicine Doctor

Lifechanging news...