Spinal Radiation and Pizza Celebration

On April 1st, 2019, I started my course of radiation treatment on my spine. After my spinal surgery, even though the surgeon was confident he had pulled out the tumor fully intact, there were still concerns that melanoma cells were left behind. In order to address this concern, I had a course of radiation on the cavity where the melanoma tumor was removed from my back. You can imagine that, after my experience with brain radiation, that I was quite concerned about what loomed ahead. Especially since I was told it would be five sessions that were 45 minutes long. I wasn't looking forward to move pain...

Well, the day finally came to prep for radiation. Fortunately, I was told it would be nothing like my experience with the mask. Unfortunately, it required a different kind of discomfort. For my brain radiation, I was able to wear all of my clothes since the area of focus wasn't covered. This time, I was told all my clothes needed to come off EXCEPT for my underwear and socks. Uh... What? I almost preferred the mask at that point lol So, I did what I was told and was taken back for prep.

When I got back to the prep room, I saw what looked like a giant blue sleeping back on the CT scan table. They then asked me to take off my robe...and stand in the room with a bunch of people watching. You'd think having been through all that I've been through...especially with an angry catheter after brain surgery...that this would be cake. But for some reason, it didn't get easier to undress in front of people. Anyway...enough of that. They then had me lie down on the sleeping bag. Turns out it was full of beans. So it wasn't a giant sleeping bag. It was in fact a giant bean bag. They positioned my body the way they wanted it and then several people started holding up the sides of the bag right next to my body. I'm not sure the technology, but slowly the bag started to harden. Eventually, it was solid and I was unable to move my body while laying inside of it. It essentially became a body bag haha Anyway, they needed a CT scan with me in it. To prep for that, they placed some plastic bags over the bottom half of my body and suctioned it tight with a vacuum so I couldn't move my legs or arms. They then positioned me inside the bag so I was lined up with a couple of lasers. In order to keep me in the same position every time I went in for radiation, they had to give me a tattoo on my chest. Now, I knew tattoos hurt, especially in areas like the sternum. So I was somewhat nervous. In fact, I halfway expected an ink-covered tattoo artist (forgive the stereotype!) to come in and start tattooing me. Luckily, it was just a needle poke right under my skin and I didn't really even feel it. After that, they sent me through for a CT scan to verify everything looked good, which is did.

On April 1st, it was the first day. We were told it would take about an hour. They needed to do about 15 minutes of simulation and then 45 minutes of radiation. So, after I went back, Kim decided to go on a walk around this trail we'd seen behind HCI. They took me back and plopped me down in the body bag. It was different being able to watch the machines work this time, since my head was in a mask the last time I was back in the vault. But, they got me prepped, walked out, and started. After lying there for about 3 minutes, they came back and told me I was done. Naturally, I was confused. I was told an hour and it took 3 minutes. But hey, if it did the job, right? I was told the following four sessions would be the same.

So... Off to get Kim! Little did I know what I was in for... On the northwest side of HCI, there are stairs that wrap around the building to the back that allow access to the trail. I didn't realize there were about 2,000 steps to get back there and I just about died doing so haha I can tell I'm out of shape. Anyway, after recovering for 10 minutes on a bench, Kim found me. I told her we were taking the elevator back down lol

Fortunately, the following four sessions were all easy. The only difficult part was driving almost five hours for a radiation session that lasted only 3 minutes. However, if it works and does the job, the drive is worth it, right? One thing I did come to learn this go around is the unique bond that develops between the men as they pass each other on a daily basis and sit in the waiting room together. You know, the gospel has brought me closer to many individuals simply because we have the gospel in common. Cancer, ironically, brought men together simply because they had something in common. I enjoyed watching those relationships in action. Unfortunately, I wasn't around enough to really participate in that. Most guys were going through 40+ sessions of radiation and saw the same people every day for over a month. You can understand why they develop relationships.

Anyway, this go around was much more pleasant and amazing it got easier to just take the robe off and lie down. I don't anticipate I'll be doing that on a regular basis though! The great part about finishing off this bit of radiation is that it was the last scheduled treatment of this nature on my treatment plan! That meant that I would no longer have to drive up to HCI multiple times a week. It seemed like we were up there two and three times a week after my brain surgery. Now, I'm down to once a month. Wahoo! And what better way to celebrate than with pizza?! Am I right? haha


The Vault where radiation takes place. I think I was in Vault 1


Body Bag


Body Bag with plastic used to suction my lower half to the table


The circle below me emits radiation. The two boxes on either side take x-rays to ensure everything looks good











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Back and the new Chinese Medicine Doctor

Lifechanging news...

Put Your Shoulder to the Wheel