MRI Results and Surgery

Earlier this week I was able to speak with my radiation oncologist about the results of my spinal MRI. The purpose of the MRI was to determine if there were any visible signs of Leptomeningeal Disease. I was able to read through the reports before I spoke with her, but it's always better, in my opinion, to hear it from the doc. There were no visible signs of the disease in my spine, which is great news. That doesn't mean that I don't have the disease, it simply means that if I do have the disease it has not progressed to the point of causing serious issues.

We had originally discussed doing a Lumbar Puncture if the MRI came back negative. The Lumbar Puncture would remove some of my cerebrospinal fluid and actually examine it for cancer cells. However, as I noted previously, I have already declined the traditional form of treatment and the treatment that my doctor has recommended if I do have the disease. Because whole brain radiation is off of the table, a formal diagnosis of the disease wouldn't change anything. We've already started on my preferred course of treatment and the procedure would simply be an unnecessary cost. That being said, they will continue to monitor me moving forward. If there are any developments from a disease standpoint, we will have to address those. But, for now, we don't know if I do in fact have leptomeningeal disease.

So where are we at moving forward? Well as far as my brain MRI results go, Dr. Burt is going to start the process of scheduled SRS (targeted radiation) on the new spots identified. That will hopefully take place prior to the end of July. I will continue my immunotherapy as scheduled until I either complete all of the sessions or my body says "No more!". Hopefully it's the former, but we shall see. I was also able to officially schedule arm surgery for July 3rd. I'll post some photos below of my arm, but essentially they will cut a whole in my arm bone, scoop out what they can of the existing tumor, and then insert a metal rod inside of the bone. This will provide the necessary support, strength, and stability that my arm will need to undergo radiation of the remaining cancer cells in my arm. On top of the radiation, I will also receive a drug similar to those used for osteoporosis. The tumor has eaten away at my bone and these drugs will hopefully help my arm bone to regrow and strengthen itself. Those infusions should take place at the same time as my immunotherapy infusions. That, however, has yet to be solidified.

So there ya go... No signs of the disease and surgery is scheduled. Not too shabby!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Back and the new Chinese Medicine Doctor

Lifechanging news...

Second Brain Surgery